Monday, January 11, 2010

What I Hope to Learn

I am probably not alone when I say that technology scares me a little bit. I am not very confident in learning new technology information on my own. I always have my husband or father or even 13-year-old brother to help me, so I usually rely on them to teach me what I do not know, or even to do technological tasks for me. (At least I am not as bad as my mom, who doesn't even know how to watch a DVD on a television she has owned for at least 3 years.)

Last semester, I took two English teaching classes that required posting on the class blogs and wikis to earn participation points. Well, I was so intimidated by these assignments, that I constantly put off doing them until I lost points and finally had to get my act together and learn how to post to the blogs and wikis for those class. I probably didn't do everything right, and I know that I posted some information to to the wrong folders and had to ask my teachers to help me right my mistakes. Hopefully the exposure will help me as I create my first ever blog.

This semester, I am eager to learn whatever Brother West has to teach me. I am a beginner when it comes to technology (I have a simple phone and can never figure out how to use my husband's blackberry). I know close to nothing when it comes to technology (except InDesign, because I had to learn it for a class for my minor, which is editing).

I am excited and at the same time a little anxious to take this class. I am afraid that I will not be able to keep up--as I often cannot in classes that require technology, even as simple as googledocs. I don't want to limit my options because I am too afraid to try (and fail) at new things. I want to learn how to use technology better, especially since this is a technology age, and apparently, I will be able to get through to my students better if I use some of that technology in the classroom. I am especially excited to learn how to transfer technological knowelgde to pedagogical pracice in the classroom.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Rachel! This is Becky from our lovely technology class. I am with you on blackberries. I can't figure them out.
    But your blog looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree all of the blog/wiki stuff last semester was intense. I had to ask Dr. Dean to erase a bunch of the stuff I put on the wiki because it got all messed up.

    ReplyDelete