Monday, April 12, 2010

Internet Safety Response

For this assignment, I watched the frontline video, Growing Up Online. It made me nervous, and I wish that they had talked more about solutions. They spent plenty of time on the problems. The stories they shared about stalkers, cyberbullying, fake identities, cheating, and internet sexuality definitely show how important it is to be careful with the internet. I don't want any of these things to happen to my little brother or to my future children. It is all very frightening. I just have to tell myself to calm down and remember that nothing bad has happened to me, and I've been using the internet and social networking sites for a long time. The end of the video talked a little bit about teaching kids how to use technology responsibly, but I wish that they had given more details. They did say that the answer is not to get rid of everything and throw away the computer (even though sometimes you might want to). What I got from this video as far as answers is the importance of keeping open communication and of being understanding, especially as a parent. Don't be overbearing, be supportive, and be involved.

I also read Elder Bednar's CES fireside talk, Things as They Really Are. This article also offered chilling examples of the dangers of cyberspace. Elder Bednar reinforced some of the things that the video expressed. In the video, a teenage girl said, "When I'm online, I'm the real person," and went on to explain that the people at her school and in her family did not know the real her--she was fake with them and could not be herself. Elder Bednar warns against this kind of over-invovlement in the online world and disconnect from the real world. This is a long quote, but I think it is worth repeating:

"If the adversary cannot entice us to misuse our physical bodies, then one of his most potent tactics is to beguile you and me as embodied spirits to disconnect gradually and physically from things as they really are. In essence, he encourages us to think and act as if we were in our premortal, unembodied state. And, if we let him, he can cunningly employ some aspects of modern technology to accomplish his purposes. Please be careful of becoming so immersed and engrossed in pixels, texting, ear buds, twittering, online social networking, and potentially addictive uses of media and the Internet that you fail to recognize the importance of your physical body and miss the richness of person-to-person communication. Beware of digital displays and data in many forms of computer-mediated interaction that can displace the full range of physical capacity and experience."

This kind of situation really worries me. My little brother and my husband both love to play video games. So far, they just play for fun every once in awhile, and I sincerely hope that it never gets to the levels that Elder Bednar warns against.

I like that Elder Bednar offered some solutions instead of only the problems. It helps me feel more hopeful. Again, I quote him:

For your happiness and protection, I invite you to study more diligently the doctrine of the plan of salvation—and to prayerfully ponder the truths we have reviewed. I offer two questions for consideration in your personal pondering and prayerful studying:

1. Does the use of various technologies and media invite or impede the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost in your life?
2. Does the time you spend using various technologies and media enlarge or restrict your capacity to live, to love, and to serve in meaningful ways?

"You will receive answers, inspiration, and instruction from the Holy Ghost suited to your individual circumstances and needs. I repeat and affirm the teaching of the Prophet Joseph: 'All beings who have bodies have power over those who have not. The devil has no power over us only as we permit him.'"

I love that he is able to put the internet into a gospel context and show us how the spirit can help us in that, as well as every, area of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment